Scalp massages are especially good for persons with dry hair. There are many ways in which one can give an excellent and relaxing scalp or head massage.
Scalp massage has been a very popular concept for hundreds of years all over the world. It is not only relaxing but there are plenty of benefits attached to it. Scalp massages are either conducted in day spas or hair salons but can also be conducted at home. A scalp massage can either be done by yourself or with the help of a friend or family member.There are a few massage techniques for this purpose, which are put together in the paragraphs below.
How to Do a Scalp Massage
There are many ways in which one can give an excellent and relaxing scalp or head massage. You will need a scalp massage oil, such as essential oils or olive oil, as these natural oils act as lubricants and make the blood flow easy, resulting in effective circulation. While you use oils, you will need certain massage techniques, where you can move your hands and fingers in specific ways, so that the blood flow is evenly distributed all over the scalp nourishing each part. To give you a small example, we have mentioned two self massage techniques for scalp in the points below.
Kneading Scalp Technique
- The kneading is a very typical massaging technique which is used on other body parts as well. The way you knead a piece of dough to distribute the flavors evenly and give it an equal consistency, you have to use your hands for the massage as well.
- Pour some oil in your palm and rub it with both hands so that both your hands are oiled well. Then with the balls of your 10 fingers, which are not the fingertips, spread the oil over the entire scalp.
- Apply pressure on the points you have held with your hands and rotate the skin under them gradually in the same place. Don’t move your fingers as this will break your hair roots. After you are done with one point, move to the next point and do the same.
- Knead the skin and hair roots gently yet firmly, so that the oil penetrates and the blood flow is simulated. Cover up the entire scalp in this way and while rotating your fingers, move them in one direction (either clockwise or anticlockwise), as changing the direction could lead to breakage.
Creating Friction Technique
- This is also another very commonly used and extremely effective massaging technique. In this massage, there is heat that is created because of the friction of the two surfaces (scalp and hand), and this heat along with the oil stimulates the blood flow around the scalp.
- You have to use the balls of your fingers here as well, and create friction on the scalp by vigorously moving them on the skin. Like the kneading technique, you have to use only one direction to avoid breakage, since the friction can cause immense hair loss.
- Move your fingers in the rotating manner throughout the scalp and bring the fingers to the forehead and then move back to the neck. One of the massage tips is, make sure you cover the whole scalp so that the oil is evenly distributed and the heat relaxes you. This helps in hair growth.
Benefits of Scalp Massage
- It helps in lubrication and conditioning of the scalp while preventing dry scalp and flakes.
- It increases the blood circulation of the head and the neck area.
- It increases the scalp flexibility and also relaxes your scalp.
- It helps in strengthening of the hair roots and nourishing the hair-shafts.
- It promotes new hair growth and also strengthens the existing hairs.
- It conditions and softens the hair hence making it more manageable.
- It increases the luster and vibrancy of the hair by spreading the natural oil.
- It also protects hair from the harmful effects of harsh weather and sun.
- It rejuvenates and replenishes dry and damage hair. It also prevents extreme fragility and split-ends.